From the National Gazeteer of Great Britain and Irelan (1868):
Wortham, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of Eye, 2 S.W. of Diss, and 3 N.W. of Mellis railway station. The Parish is bounded on the N. by the river Waveney, which here separates the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. The village contains the Hartismere union workhouse for children. There is a considerable extent of common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £860, and 41 acres of glebe, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a free school. The charities produce about £7 per annum. On Wortham Ling are traces of a Roman camp.